• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

stress, jaw clenching, and tension headaches

lunarDISCObanquet

Bluelighter
early in december, i had some kind of upper respiratory infection, which was treated successfully within a week with a z-pack, but something to keep in mind.

the 25th - 30th, i had an annoying ingrown hair on the side of my mouth. i was opening my mouth very wide to fuck with it with my tongue all week. i was opening my jaw much wider and didn't even notice myself doing this.

the night of the 30th, i noticed a weird sensation in my temple, and woke up with a headache in both temples.

an advil helped treat the headache.

the night of the 31st, i went out, took some mild uppers, and its possible i was clenching my jaw for part of the night.

since the 30th, i have had consistent headaches in my temples on and off. i never experienced these kind of headaches in the past.

to add to this shitstorm, i have terrible anxiety, usually about health. i keep imagining the worst case scenario, which is probably feeding the stress more.

late last february, i had a cat scan which came back all good (this was for a drunken fall. again, my health anxiety helped me convince myself a hang over was a full blown concussion)

the headaches are in my temples. unlike other headaches with light and sound sensitivity and a general shitty feeling, it seems to be more the muscle. if i rub the area of my temple and upper jaw, it definitely reacts with a slight swell of pain. i noticed a bit of neck pain as well, which may be power of suggestion after reading about it.

advil also helps a little. hopefully this suggests its not internal, but muscle.

being a broke college student, it is in my best interest to get this handled on my own without visiting a bunch of doctors to get some reassurance.

i visited my school's health center, but they are very unprofessional there. she just told me to get an eye exam and take advil.

tomorrow i plan to meet with the school psych, and see if my anxiety is a factor, and what i can do.

its unfortunate i have to come to a message board for reassurance, but has anyone had any experience with this? should i be concerned?

http://www.enhancedental.com/Prevention_htm/Headaches_JawJointPain.htm

a lot of this makes sense, but i don't know if a week of weird jaw extension and a night of jaw clenching would lead to a full week of horrible headaches.

Anxiety and dread about health could be depression.

Wearing a splint when you sleep can help with headaches, a dentist can make one or a very economical solution is to use a football/hockey mouth guard that you soften in hot water and fit your self according to manufacturer instructions.(This is what I do and I've been headache free about five years)

Seeing a doc would be good start on addressing your situation and making a plan.

thanks for the replies, public or private.

the football mouthgard seems like a good idea.

in my situation, i'm not a regular jaw grinder at night or anything.

my actual question is, do you believe it is possible that i could be experiencing these kind of headaches for so long after a week of jaw extension and one night of possible jaw clenching?

i am really just trying to find out if i should be concerned that this is super serious or if it will go away in time...

lunarDISCObanquet said:
i am really just trying to find out if i should be concerned that this is super serious or if it will go away in time...
I wouldn't be super concerned, but stay aware and see a professional if it doesn't go away or worsens. Does it seem like there is any inflammation or trauma? You might see if naproxen or ibuprofen helps, assuming you tolerate those meds.

advil helps...
advil and a xanax really helps, but thats a habit i don't really want to get into...

this is an e-mail i got back from my campus psych

We're open with just me right now. Tension headaches, anxiety, and TMJ
(Temporomandibular joint disorder) are pretty common and in my ballpark of
expertise. We would not do medications until getting a better clinical
picture of what's going on and then you could see Dr. Fischer our
psychiatrist. There is a bill though to your student account or insurance
for that. My two cents would be let's get you in to see me (the free guy),
see if your healthcare provider at home would be willing to work with us on
perhaps calling in a prescription if necessary and work on getting this
level of anxiety knocked down a bit.
How about today at 3:00? I'll have Kathy call you later if I don't
get an e-mail back to confirm. She's our office manager.
Kevin

Lead Psychologist/Clinical Supervisor
Health and Wellness Services CAT

Last edited:
early in december, i had some kind of upper respiratory infection, which was treated successfully within a week with a z-pack, but something to keep in mind.

the 25th - 30th, i had an annoying ingrown hair on the side of my mouth. i was opening my mouth very wide to fuck with it with my tongue all week. i was opening my jaw much wider and didn't even notice myself doing this.

the night of the 30th, i noticed a weird sensation in my temple, and woke up with a headache in both temples.

an advil helped treat the headache.

the night of the 31st, i went out, took some mild uppers, and its possible i was clenching my jaw for part of the night.

since the 30th, i have had consistent headaches in my temples on and off. i never experienced these kind of headaches in the past.

to add to this shitstorm, i have terrible anxiety, usually about health. i keep imagining the worst case scenario, which is probably feeding the stress more.

late last february, i had a cat scan which came back all good (this was for a drunken fall. again, my health anxiety helped me convince myself a hang over was a full blown concussion)

the headaches are in my temples. unlike other headaches with light and sound sensitivity and a general shitty feeling, it seems to be more the muscle. if i rub the area of my temple and upper jaw, it definitely reacts with a slight swell of pain. i noticed a bit of neck pain as well, which may be power of suggestion after reading about it.

advil also helps a little. hopefully this suggests its not internal, but muscle.

being a broke college student, it is in my best interest to get this handled on my own without visiting a bunch of doctors to get some reassurance.

i visited my school's health center, but they are very unprofessional there. she just told me to get an eye exam and take advil.

tomorrow i plan to meet with the school psych, and see if my anxiety is a factor, and what i can do.

its unfortunate i have to come to a message board for reassurance, but has anyone had any experience with this? should i be concerned?

http://www.enhancedental.com/Prevention_htm/Headaches_JawJointPain.htm

a lot of this makes sense, but i don't know if a week of weird jaw extension and a night of jaw clenching would lead to a full week of horrible headaches.

Hi lunarDISCObanquet,

It sounds like you are clenching/grinding your teeth, which is contributing to your jaw pain. If you are suffering from teeth clenching/grinding, then you should check out getting a mouth guard. This should help eliminate your clenching and alleviate pain in any form.. I would recommend checking out mouth guards from http://www.totalgard.com I know how it is .. I have stress and anxiety myself and it can be painful :(

Regards,
Dave

I do not know if this would actually help, but I know magnesium supplements help with jaw clenching on MDMA. They might be worth looking into.

Try breathing from your mouth and see if that helps you when the ligaments are pulling.
TMJ, can take a very long time to heal, and it is a complex problem. See if by placing a hot compress on your temples helps you! Trigger points in the temporal muscle can also create problems, if you find the heat releases and assist you, there may be problems with that area and ofcourse everything else goes out of wack. The TMJ, shows that things are out of place!